Utah Mold Damage FAQ
Mold damage is common in many homes and businesses. One in five homes in Utah is growing mold! Mold becomes a problem when moisture and oxygen are introduced and it begins to multiply. Often mold is hidden beneath carpet, around pipes, or behind walls. Some warning signs that you may have mold in your home include the following: Discoloration of walls or water stains, places where nails are rusting through drywall, a mildew-like odor in your home, swelling of baseboards and window trims, ongoing respiratory problems, or having standing water for more than 72 hours.
I Have Mold Growing on My Property, Now What?
- Don’t wait if you have water damage or a mold problem. Mold destroys most everything it grows on, and it grows at an alarming rate.
- Do dry out your water damage, within 48 hours, to prevent mold from growing.
- Do ask your insurance professional about whether or not your homeowner’s insurance policy covers mold-related issues.
- Do not breathe in or touch mold-infested areas and make sure to wear a proper respirator and gloves.
- Do open windows in your home or business to ventilate humidity levels