Utah Mold Damage RepairFAQs about Mold Damage
How do I know if I have a mold problem?
Mold damage is common in many homes and businesses. One in five homes in Utah is growing mold! Mold becomes a problem when moisture and oxygen are introduced and it begins to multiply. Often mold is hidden beneath carpet, around pipes, or behind walls. Some warning signs that you may have mold in your home include the following: Discoloration of walls or water stains, places where nails are rusting through drywall, a mildew-like odor in your home, swelling of baseboards and window trims, ongoing respiratory problems, or having standing water for more than 72 hours.
Is mold making me sick?
Mold produces allergens that can cause different allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Most common reported symptoms are itchy eyes, runny nose, fever, skin rash and asthma-related effects. It may feel like you have a cold or flu, but you don’t.
Which molds are considered toxic?
Toxic molds produce mycotoxins, or poisons that can be harmful to humans and animals. One of the most common of these is Stachybotrys, sometimes called black mold. However, not all black molds are toxic. And not all toxic molds are black. There are several other types of molds that are toxic such as Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium, which do not make an exhaustive list. To read more about the different types of mold, visit: Types of Mold
Is my mold claim going to be covered?
This is something your insurance agent will be able to tell you. Many policies do not cover mold. If mold coverage is important to you, make sure to get a policy that includes it.
Are sinus infections linked to mold?
According to a 1999 Mayo Clinic study, nearly all chronic sinus infections, which afflicted 37 million Americans, were caused from mold exposure. A 300% increase in the asthma rate over the past 20 years has been linked to molds.
According to 1999 USA Today Cover Story
Don’t wait if you have water damage or a mold problem. Mold destroys most everything it grows on, and it grows at an alarming rate.
Do dry out your water damage, within 48 hours, to prevent mold from growing.
Do ask your insurance professional about whether or not your homeowner’s insurance policy covers mold-related issues.
Do not breathe in or touch mold-infested areas and make sure to wear a proper respirator and gloves.
Do open windows in your home or business to ventilate humidity levels.
Mold can be a scary thing, but Advanced Restoration can remove mold and other water-related damage quickly and efficiently!