Home

About Us

Blog

Contact Us

lines

Utah water damage serviceUtah fire damage servicesUtah wind damage servicesUtah mold damage servicesUtah construction and remodel restoration services

Utah fire restoration services

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

utah fire damage service

Advanced Restoration LLC Building You UpUtah water damage service Job ProcessFAQs for fire damageUtah water damage rental informationMedical Accessibility in UtahDisaster Preputah fire damage services Advanced Restoration


Utah Fire Restoration and Safety

FAQs about fire safety in Utah

Where should smoke alarms be placed in my home?

A smoke alarm should be placed on the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area, or in each room used for sleeping purposes. One should be placed in each story, including basements. For split-level areas, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level is sufficient.

Should my home be hardwired for smoke alarms?

The 2006 International Fire Code requires that smoke alarms be both hardwired into the household wiring and have a battery back-up. They must also be interconnected so that when one alarm activates, all of the alarms throughout the dwelling will sound an alarm. Residences built before the current code was issued are required to have at least battery powered, single-station smoke alarms, unless substantial remodeling is done that would expose areas where wiring could be installed to bring the residences up to current code.

For more information on making your home safe, please visit: http://www.firesafehome.org/essential-components/

The above information is provided by Ren Egbert-Unified Fire Authority Arson/Bomb Squad

Why should you have an escape plan?

It is important to have an escape plan and a central meeting place for everyone living in the home because having a plan will reduce confusion and help you account for each person. Do not re-enter the burning home. Wait for the fire department to rescue anyone who has not exited the home. 

Why should you check a closed door with the back of your hand?

First, you should check any closed door for heat, to make sure it is safe to exit. Also, don’t touch the door with your fingertips or palm of your hand because it will be much harder to escape by using a ladder or crawling if you are burned.

What about a fire is most lethal?

The leading cause of death in a fire is asphyxiation. Fire victims rarely see the flames. Fire consumes the oxygen in the air, thereby increasing the concentration of deadly carbon monoxide in the atmosphere. Inhaling carbon monoxide causes a loss of consciousness or death within minutes.
http://www.scemd.org/Library/DisasterMitigation/Fire/HousBldgFirFs.pdf

How can I be prepared in case of a fire?

Plan escape routes at home and at work. Have at least two ways out of every room. Make sure your windows are not nailed or painted shut.  Be sure to practice the plan.

Make fire extinguishers available in your home and teach everyone how to use them.
In the event of a fire, try to get out as fast as possible. Do not stop to collect personal items.

How can I prevent a fire from happening?

Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids indoors. Discard all rags and materials that have been soaked in flammable liquids outside in a metal container.

When using alternative heating sources like a space heater, make sure they are kept away from flammable materials by at least three feet.

Have your home’s electrical wiring inspected by a licensed electrician and make sure any cords in your home don’t have visible wires or loose plugs. All outlets should be covered with a faceplate to prevent exposed electrical wiring

Ok, I have fire damage to my property, now what?

Tape damp cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers, after experiencing fire damage, to capture any loose soot in the air.

Remove pets to a clean and safe environment after smoke and fire damage.

If heat is off in the winter, pour antifreeze in toilet bowls, tanks, sinks and tub drains to prevent damage.

Discard open food packages, or food exposed to heat. The food could be contaminated.

Do not touch anything after experiencing fire damage. Soot on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork causing further damage.

Do not attempt to wash any wallpapered or flat-painted walls, ceilings, or other absorbent surfaces, without consulting your professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures following fire damage, could compound the soot-residue problem.

Do not use electrical appliances, computers, TV's or stereos that have been close to fire damage or water damage before having them checked for malfunction.

Fire damage can often affect more than the eye can see. Smoke damage is very common, but simple to repair. Call Advanced Restoration to find out more about our ozone and fire restoration services!

 

home

about us

blog

contact us

Rental

Medical accessibility